February 2019: Blog update and a Daycamp...

It's been a while since my last blog post and for that, I sincerely apologise. I've had a busy few weeks of work and sometimes other priorities takeover. I have still been getting out and about and maintaining my one camp a month.

Feel free to head on over to my Instagram feed where you’ll see a few photos from those trips.


I've simply not had a lot of time to scribble down some of my musings on this blog! I enjoy the creative process in producing a fairly amusing and insightful narrative to accompany my photos and this sometimes takes a bit longer than I’d like. By the same token, I probably make life difficult for myself by waffling on a bit too much in my blog posts!


In the last couple of weeks I’ve been out on another wild camp along the north Kent Marshes. A separate post is about to be published on that trip.


I also enjoyed a day camp up the woods. I took this day camp as an opportunity to practice my fire lighting skills as the last few camping trips have been group camps and I’ve not always taken responsibility to light the fire. This lack of practice was illuminated on my January woodland wild camp when I had some trouble lighting the fire. In a nutshell, my birch bark was too thick to ignite properly and I had to resort to using my back-up stash of waxed cotton wool buds to get things going.


I learnt a valuable lesson there though and have given myself a serious kick up the back side to remedy the situation by practicing with natural tinder materials more frequently either at home or up the woods. I’ll probably touch on this a bit more in future blog posts as I develop this skillset.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Campfire Cookery: Fish and Chips

Carving a Kuksa

2020 - A year in review: Hi de Hi Campers, it's been a while!