Woodland Wild Camp: April 2017

What a glorious time of year to be headed out on a camping trip in my local woodland. Spring is in full flow with summer just around the corner, Bluebells are everywhere, the wildlife is buzzing with activity and the seasonably cold crisp nights are followed up with mild and (occasionally) sunny days. Kent has benefitted from a very mild and fairly sunny few weeks and I was chomping at the bit to get out and enjoy some time outdoors.


This time it was even better as I was out for two nights over the Mayday bank holiday. My plans this time were to do relatively little other than enjoy the glorious surroundings, cook up some food, catch-up with friends, practice some fire lighting techniques and find time for a spot of whittling.

When camping in the woods for a couple of nights, it’s can be a bit of a challenge packing everything into the rucksack. As always, this takes a bit of careful planning and organisation. You quickly learn about what you’re prepared to carry and what you really need in order to be comfortable outdoors. Those that don’t learn probably wind up spending a small fortune with their local chiropractor! Having said that, those that do learn probably wind up spending a small fortune on posh, lightweight camping kit at their local camping shop. There’s a definite balance to be found here!

I wanted to use my hammock this time as I’ve not used it for a couple of months. I also wanted to cook up some proper food and not just warm up some readymade tinned produce. Don’t get me wrong, I love a tin of chilli and especially a can of spam! but I much prefer to cook proper food as and when I can be bothered and am able to carry the ingredients into camp. Having decided on my options around sleep, shelter and cook set, I then only need to worry about packing essential tools, first aid kit, water and some warm clothes to combat the night time chill. 

As I walked through the woods towards my camping spot, the sun was shining, the birds were singing, any worries immediately start to fade and I had a good feeling about this camp.


It doesn’t take long to get camp established and get the hammock set-up just so.

But as with most camping trips there are always chores to get done. I was gasping for a cup of tea so I gathered some wood for the fire and also re-purposed some wood that had previously been used for a raised bed to create a communal seating area around the fire. If I say so myself, I thought the bench was very comfortable.

The bench was also versatile as the bark from the birch and sweet chestnut cross sections came in handy when collecting tinder to get the fire lit. My fellow camp mates made good use of the bench but were very keen to point out the lack of back rest!! Cheeky so and so’s was my response…followed by many expletives that you won’t find in the English Dictionary!

As the evening started to set in it was time to cook. I cooked up some pasta for my main meal but as a little ‘amuse-bouche’ for starters it was a Cumberland sausage on a stick over a bed of hot coals! A la carte fine dining at its best! I don’t care how old you are, cooking a sausage on a stick is amazing. This to me is not just about cooking a sausage, it evokes sentimental memories of the good times doing the very same thing when I was a lad in Scouts.


After a fairly busy but enjoyable day of setting up camp I was very happy to relax around the fire (I might have also had an ale or two!) and turn in for an early night in the hammock. I don’t think I’ll ever tire of that wonderful feeling of being able to look out at the forest and see the stars shining above while gently swaying from side to side in the hammock. The only thing that lets it down are the occasional moments when I am awoken by my own snoring!


The second day would greet the arrival of some more friends and family, some of whom would be pitching up for the night. I for one though will be doing very little before getting a nice cup of tea down me (best way to start the day in my opinion!). Then it’s time for breakfast….scrambled eggs, sausages and baked beans washed down with more tea!

I spent a fair amount of the day whittling. There’s nothing I love more than sitting around a fire while whittling something from a stick. I find the whole process very relaxing and almost therapeutic in the way that it focuses your attention on the job in hand and diverts your mind away from any trials and tribulations. Indeed, this sentiment pretty much sums up a large element of what I enjoy most about camping. I do it because it enables me to remove myself from all the mundane things that cause stress in our modern tech-dependant lives.


My fellow camp mates spent a bit of time having a shoot out with their catapults. Their target; a tin can! 


In my opinion, anytime in the woods is good no matter what season it is. But this time of year seems to be extra special. It's great to just sit down, listen to the wildlife and take in all of the colours that have emerged throughout the fields and woodland. What makes life even better is the fact the weather is mild and the biting insects have yet to emerge!

We spent another nice evening huddled around the fire enjoying the peace and tranquility that seems so noteable after the birds go to roost.


And so ends another great camping trip. It was as always a pleasure and I'm already looking forward to next month's adventure. With the onset of warmer weather I intend to mix things up a bit by carrying a basic and lightweight kit. I'm also aiming to do some more exploring around my local woodland in a bid to find some other camping spits.  As always, thanks for reading, until next month....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Campfire Cookery: Fish and Chips

Carving a Kuksa

2020 - A year in review: Hi de Hi Campers, it's been a while!